Friday 22 July 2011

Brynford's public art

On my favourite cycle route I pass a newly constructed piece of public art. I imagine that most people are often indifferent to artwork  in public spaces, however these three characters in Brynford have caught my imagination.


They are clearly lead miners enjoying their sandwiches (or snap, as they probably would have termed it in these parts). The figures are carved out of some kind of hard wood and they have metal plated waistcoats. Lead mining has literally shaped the whole of the Brynford area so it is a piece of art in context geographically and historically. Just as importantly, the work is humorous; I think people will smile when they inspect this clever work. In one sense the figures echo Antony Gormley's iron men sited on the beach north of Liverpool. My only gripe is that there is no information about the figures, or of the artist that created them.

1 comment:

  1. I now know that the figures were created by Mike Owens of Caerwys. I like then even more!

    ReplyDelete