Sunday 3 October 2010

Caerwys History Book

Lloyd George and Herbert Lewis.
                                            
The meeting with the publisher of the Caerwys book turned out to be rather interesting. I had a dispute with another member of the committee about the balance of images and text. The issues though go down to an understanding of what is meant by 'History'. I was engaged to write a semi academic History  and for me that always means an investigation into the past. In other words, why things happend, and why they happened in quite the way they did. The other side of the 'past' is heritage. That includes National Trust type things. I enjoy visiting grand houses and the like and appreciating our heritage; but that is not the same as History. I wonder how many think of that? Perhaps the Caerwys Heritage Society might be better.

3 comments:

  1. It's a tricky one though isn't it, especially in our age of the internet, the tv and the short attention span. If images help to bring people to the text maybe it is better to have more images and more readers? The two you have posted on here are crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have hit the nail on the head! I have written about 32000 words so I suppose I have a vested interest in text!

    PS
    Crackers as in mad, or as in good?!

    ReplyDelete