Sunday 31 October 2010

The Past is another country.

High Street in the first decade of the 20th century.
I have been wandering Caerwys looking at the modern day places where the old photographs (from the collection that have been gathered to go in the book) were taken. However, try as I might it just does not seem the same place. Black and white (or sepia) images do create a sense of antiquity; it hard to grasp sometimes that the 19th century was in colour. Anyway, I am going to try and recreate some of the earliest images to show what I mean. The above image is the view I have from my front garden, if my front garden had been there in the first part of the 20th century, that is. Last week I went out and tried to stand in pretty much the same place, but even with the sepia tones added the same view is almost unrecognisable.
The same street in 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment