Sunday 20 November 2011

Toys for boys

Sometimes I can't help myself: I had seen these bike computers advertised recently and I knew that until I had one I could not be truly happy. Anyway, this tempting toy is the Garmin Edge 500. It weighs about 2 ounces and measures over forty things during a bike ride. Then, when the bike is put away, this remarkable toy sends all the data to the internet and all the details are set out on-line, some on graphs, others on google maps. It also records my heart rate from a strap worn against my chest. Here is just some of the data the toy records: speed, average speed, time, moving time, ascent, descent (both calculated using air pressure), cadence (the rate the pedals go round), plots the route, the route profile, heart rate, average heart rate, maximum heart rate, calories used, temperature, average temperature, will up-load routes, and other stuff too numerous to mention. I have already successfully used the toy for two weekends; the geek in me will find plenty of interest in this little device in the months to come. I am sad to say, however, that the toy does not make good toast.


The Garmin Edge 500 set in scale against my Blackberry. The tiny Garmin weighs just 2 ounces.



No comments:

Post a Comment