Saturday 26 November 2011

When Everton win

At my age I should cope better, but often the quality of my Saturday depends upon how well Everton have fared. If the blues have lost then I can't face watching Match of the Day. I just can't. It is like re-visiting the painful memories of earlier in the day, whether I was at the game or not. But when they win it is a different matter: that, I'm happy to say, is the case today. I am looking forward to the programme and the time-honoured signature tune.

Match of the Day is more than just a television programme, it is part of my cultural life. I can remember first watching it back in the late 60s and early 70s during the regular Saturday night visits to my grandparents in Flint. We usually, as I recall, stayed until the programme ended. In those days not all games were shown and so it was a case of anxiously anticipating whether or not Everton would be on the line-up. And so almost half a century later and little has changed: Match of the Day and whether or not the blues have won still plays a big part in my Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment