Thursday 27 December 2012

My cycling year.

With over 6300km on the road this has been my best ever cycling year. It will be quite a challenge to match the enjoyment of the last 12 months on the bike. It is difficult to pick out the highlights, but here is my attempt. The challenge of riding a 100km event in each calendar month was a good motivator, especially during the shorter days. The 100 mile ride from Manchester in January was tough in gale force winds and a long final section in the dark. The traditional Easter ride to Bala on Good Friday in partial snow was memorable. Two long rides stand out in my memory: the first was a Rhyl Cycling Club ride led by Alan Thompson which included the climb up to Llyn Aled. I felt very strong on that occasion; Alan's film of the ride captures the day well. The other ride to stand out in my mind was the Wild Wales event in August. Perfect weather and unbelievable climbs made it a ride I will never forget, even if I did walk on Bwlch y Groes. Add the weekend of audaxing in Radnorshire, and countless other challenging rides, and 2012 has been rather special.





2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention that ride Tim, I was just reviewing the year, preparing to write a post similar to yours, and had just revisited that particular video. It's here, should your readers wish to check it out:
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/05/gopro-video-from-rhyl-cc-club-run-may-6th-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan. That ride was brilliant and introduced me to new roads; along with a belief that I could keep up.

    ReplyDelete