Wednesday 22 December 2010

A fobile moan!

On Sunday my beloved Blackberry breathed it's last breath; ever since I have been mobile phone free. It has been quite odd adjusting to living without my little companion, but I wonder if it should become a permanent thing. How did we cope before these pesky phones were invented? Anyway I would like to share my observations of living without these 'necessities' of 21st century life.
I have definitely become more socially inefficient; twice this week not having a phone has resulted in inconvenience to me: first, I waited well over an hour for a friend on Monday (a simple text would have allowed me to plan my time better and avoid almost catching hypothermia), and second, earlier tonight I went carol singing but lost the choir, again, a text or quick call would have rectified matters. I have got lazy in making arrangement knowing that everything can be rectified en route with a text or call. The other major thing has been keeping in touch with my son and daughter - well to be more accurate them seeking lifts hither and thither is not so easy. We have become used to instant communication and I find it hard to imagine that when I left home for university we were still actually writing letters to keep in touch with friends in much the same way as the Victorians did when the Post Office was invented. Now we facebook.
Instant communication may make us socially efficient, but the quality of it is not the same as a considered letter. Instant messaging does not allow for reflection and considered thoughts. So will I take this opportunity to ditch the mobile and purchase large quantities of writing paper and stamps? Tempting, but an iPhone is at the top of my Christmas list. I fear that there is no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment