Friday 24 December 2010

The last train to Caerwys (ville)...

Yesterday I went to the local railway station ticket office. I asked for a return ticket. 'Where to?' asked the ticket officer; 'back here' I replied. Ah the old jokes. The ticket office in question can be seen below:

Unfortunately I was unlikely to get a ticket anywhere as Caerwys station has been closed for over 50 years. Yet the ticket office window still remains and the whole place is remarkably atmospheric. Today the station is home to a timber yard and the man in the picture manages the business. To me closing this line (Mold to Denbigh) was nothing short of a crime. It was compounded by selling off the land making any other use of the railway site impossible.

I should add that the photograph was taken by Tom Wood of Caerwys.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more! One of my Mum's friends had an aunt who lived in Denbigh and she used to come all the way from Rochdale by train and gets nostaligic every time we drive the Mold - Denbigh road!

    ReplyDelete