Sunday 9 January 2011

First day of spring?

I was talking to a Caerwys farmer recently; being British we talked about the weather. I was asking how the very early severe winter would impact upon his livestock. He was not in the slightest bit worried as he told me that no matter when winter starts it only ever last fifteen weeks. So judging by this we are approaching the end of winter (well, soon anyway). Today's beautiful sunshine made me think that my farmer friend might have been right. Out and about this morning I spotted a tree laden with cat's tails (or as we know them Catkins) - a sure sign of spring. In my raised garden beds the daffodils are pushing through the cold soil. Even the Lamas in Caerwys looked a little happier in the warm sunshine. This may not be the end of winter, afterall it is only the 9th January, but if my farmer friend is right Spring is just around the corner.
Catkins - named after Kitten tails, which they resemble; sign of spring.

The Caerwys Lamas have endured a harsh winter, but seemed happy enough today.

Not exactly a host of golden daffodils, but at least they are on the way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment