Saturday 13 August 2011

First bike

I have always preferred bikes to cars. While looking through some old 35mm slides I came across a photograph of me riding my first proper bike; it was, as far as I can remember, a red Moulton. The company still exists making small wheeled bicycles. After that I progressed to a wonderful purple chopper. At university I did up a bike that managed to get me up many of the steepest hills in Bangor. However,I did not get my first 'serious' machine until the early 1990s when I bought a second hand Dawes Galaxy with the unbeatable 531 steel frame. Since then I have had other 531 and aluminium bikes, and even a tandem to cycle with the children when they were very young. Yet it was this small wheeled Moulton that gave me my first experience of cycling:

A portrait of the author as a young cyclist.


3 comments:

  1. I dream of owning a Moulton. I did buy a Moulton Standard in pieces from Ebay: I'd just got it together, though looking scruffy, when my landlord emptied the shed while I was away. Goodbye Moulton.
    Ah well. If I ever come into some money, I'll get the NS Stainless. It's only £15,000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never give up. I would like a job that would allow me to buy a folding bike; I couldn't justify one otherwise.

    ReplyDelete