Thursday 4 August 2011

Well, hardly ever...

The operettas written by Gilbert and Sullivan in the second half of the 19th century are not everyone's cup of tea. Yet since I was very young I have loved them. I first heard Pirates of Penzance on our old record player. The disc may even have been a 78. Then I recall seeing my Dad in the chorus of a number of productions done in Holywell High School. At university I joined the Gilbert and Sullivan society and had some of the best times performing in The Sorcerer, Pirates and Trial by Jury. Whenever there is a performance at theatre Clwyd I try to go (see earlier blogs).

This week I have taken my appreciation of these wonderful operettas a stage further by attending an International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival in the Peak District. The festival runs for three weeks with a new performance each evening. I first saw Trent Opera do a faultless production of Yeoman of the Guard. In the afternoons smaller productions - by youth groups - are held.  Yesterday evening I went to see Peak Opera performing HMS Pinafore. The production was truly fantastic. That is the extent of my initial visit to the festival. Needless to say, I will return, maybe next week.

The magnificent Buxton Opera House - home to the Gilbert and Sullivan Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment