Thursday 17 March 2011

Book launch.

Collage of Caerwys in old photographs.

Tomorrow my history of Caerwys is to be launched. There will be an official launch evening at the Town Hall from around 7pm. Everyone household in the town can collect their copy of 'Caerwys Since Victorian Times'. Those remaining will be delivered in the days that follow. I have had a sneek preview of the book and I am very pleased with the quality of the printing.

However, I am a little nervous on two counts. First, I will be making a short speech thanking those that have taken part in the production of the book and reflecting on the lessons we have all learnt. Our MP will be there along with many of my friends from around the town, so it won't be easy. But my main anxiety is that people will enjoy the book. It has been written with the aim of encouraging debate and an interest in the history of the town. I truly hope it succeeds.

I will quote directly from my introduction as I quite like this bit:

In the Victorian period Caerwys retained its role as a trading and market centre, it retained a lesser legal role with the magistrates’ court, it also retained a Welsh cultural identify that would; flower once again, most notably in the nonconformist revival of the late 19th century. Yet by the 21st century Caerwys would be almost unrecognisable to those who had lived when Victoria first came to the throne in 1837. Changes that have taken place in the economic, social, and political life of the town have been profound. Nevertheless, if one looks closely enough there is also continuity to be found; for instance, in some of the surviving buildings such as the church and the Old Court. There is also continuity in the real sense of community and identity that is still recognised by most of those fortunate enough to have lived at least some of their lives in Caerwys.

No comments:

Post a Comment