Sunday 20 March 2011

Libya.

What can history teach us about the events that are unfolding in Libya? To my mind the lessons are clear: this is a mistaken policy. I have only contempt for Gadaffi and would celebrate his demise, but bombing Libya won't work. It will have two consequences. First as the bombing is being carried out mainly by the US it will create an anti western feeling amongst the Libyan people. Second, it will create a rift in the Arab League.

In addition not having the support of Russia and China is serious.

I hope that I am wrong and that Gadaffi soon quits and leaves the country. However I fear that our intervention will prolong the conflict; especially as there will be no ground force invasion.

Revolutions are dynamic events and the outcomes are never certain. It is the law of unintended outcomes we must watch out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment