Sunday 20 March 2011

Raised beds.

Last year I joined the fashion for raised bed gardening. Not that I am much of a gardener; I like watching gardening programmes and enjoy other people's gardens. I talk a good garden. Anyway, in a fit of activity I got some railway sleepers (some not needed any more, obviously) and cut them into shape. Then I filled them with lots of horse manure and high quality top soil. They were an amazing success. From that small space I grew some flowers at the front to disguise the vegetables, lettuce (many kinds), potatoes, spring onions, cabbage, courgettes, beetroot, leeks, carrots, green beans, and bush tomatoes (from which I made ten jars of chutney). This was gardening made easy for lazy folk like me.

This weekend the daffodils in the raised beds marked the start of the growing season.

In the beginning...

These were the same raised beds at the peak of the growing season last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment