Tuesday 27 September 2011

An Indian summer

The temperatures are soaring, and the newspapers are using the phrase Indian Summer. Many years ago a friend wrote a silly story about me called 'Eddie's Indian Summer'; I won't explain why. So whenever we have warm weather at this time of year I think of that time. However, I had assumed that the term Indian Summer came from the Indian sub-continent, but it instead it refers to the American Indians. Etymologists cannot agree to the origin of the phrase, suffice to say that it is an American import, like pepsi. I suppose after the cool summer that has just gone the notion of an Indian summer is tinged with irony. Indeed there was an item on the radio where a cook was offering advice for suitable foods to use on an October barbecue. I just try to make the most of it; last year severe winter weather arrived well into November, so make hay while the sun shines.

The view from Caerwys earlier this evening looking west across the golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment