Tuesday 20 September 2011

Spy

Like most people, I can trace my life through the books I have read. The release of the film based upon John Le Carre's novel 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' reminded me of my passion for his work at around the age of 18, and perhaps a little younger. I managed to read most of his books, many of which had wonderfully evocative titles, such the 'The Naive and Sentimental Lover' and 'The Honourable School Boy'. Le Carre's first description of George Smiley, the main character, still impresses me: 'Small, podgy and at best middle aged, he was by appearance one of London's meek who do not inherit the earth. His legs were short, his gait anything but agile, his dress costly, ill-fitting and extremely wet'.

My 30 year old copy of the novel; Alec Guinness was the perfect Smiley

2 comments:

  1. My eldest boy is harassing me to take him to the cinema over the weekend to see this. I'm expecting great things from it, judging from the cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My laptop charger is bust! So i am reading again. I used to go through several aWeek and loved classics like maken and steinbeck. Like you, i read any title by them... It was the pictures they painted and the characters they brought to life

    ReplyDelete