Sunday 4 September 2011

More hill climb tales.

To prove that I am not just a 'lap-top' cyclist (make of this what you will) I decided to try the route I described in my recent blog entitled 'A wheeler's paradise'. My riding partner MF proved to be a stronger rider so I certainly felt the miles in my legs by the time we finished.

I have already written about the first of the three major climbs at Middle Mill Road. The second climb over 'London Bridge' proved relatively straightforward, apart, that is, from the dreadful state of the road on the descent which made it a little treacherous at times.

London Bridge.


After the gentle lanes of the Vale of Clwyd the next climb called 'The Shelf' awaited. This proved the be the most difficult; the climb is well named with some tough sections followed by short plateaux for a brief respite. The climb took about 20 minutes and these photographs show me approaching the top and the relief having finally made it.

Approaching the top.

Finally off the Shelf.
The final section of the ride over the Llandegla moors was fast and uneventful. My riding partner described the ride as a classic; this maybe hyperbole, but it was amongst the best this region has to offer the road cyclist and I will aim to tackle the route again before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment