Thursday 12 January 2012

Cycling time trials

Way back in the 1990s I took part in a great many cycling time trials. They are events held on the public highway where the aim is to ride as fast as possible over a set distance. There is a national organisation overseeing the locally organised races. I entered well over 100 time trials and usually came last. However I enjoyed them immensely and I am considering having another go this year. I have looked back over some of my times: they are not very impressive, but one event earned me a certificate. It was a 25 miles event on the A55 from St Asaph to Abergele and back, twice. It was a perfect evening and I covered the 25 miles in 66 minutes and 13 seconds. The gold standard is to go faster than one hour, but I would require a petrol engine to achieve that.

A 10 mile race near Wrexham organised by the Merseyside ladies cycling club; it was notable for being the last time I beat Kevin.

Too fat to race methinks; a hilly time time trial along the roads of North Anglesey. It hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you wont need a motor to get close to the hour now.Perhaps you could dust off and do some retro TTs

    ReplyDelete