Friday 20 January 2012

Planning an audax century

Some weeks ago I agreed to ride an Audax 100 mile event this Sunday. I have done that distance on a number of occasions, but never in January. I am fitter than I have been for years (perhaps ever), so it should be a breeze. Nevertheless 100 miles on a push bike  takes some planning. The route and ride logistics have been on my mind for much of the week. In fact, without any sound reason I have worried a little about the ride. I have tired to cover every eventuality: route card laminated in case it rains, route also in my GPS (timtim as opposed to tomtom), lights with new batteries in case we don't get back before dark, train times from points en route in case of major mechanical failure, lots of jelly babies in case my energy-levels falter, energy juice, spare inner tubes, bike tool, water-proof bag for phone and camera, map, and the list goes on. Of course an excuse not to ride might materialise before Sunday morning, but I fear the challenge of the 100 miles will have to be faced. Watch this space.

Just some of the kit I will carry for 100 miles (in theory).

No comments:

Post a Comment