Sunday 15 January 2012

Talacre in the winter

The lighthouse in Talacre must be the most photographed building in Flintshire; I nearly described it as iconic, but I avoid that word like the plague. Do an image search on 'Talacre' and there are hundreds of beautiful and imaginative photographs. This morning, in the hand-numbing cold, I made my contribution to that collection.

Last year, in fact, Dulux used the lighthouse as the back-drop for one of their famous TV paint advertisements, with that dog bounding about the beach.

An image from the TV advertisement.
I hope that they were not implying in this advertisement they had used Dulux products to paint the building: in the TV image the lighthouse looks perfectly white, yet not more than a few months later it needs more than a lick of paint:

Not the best advertisement for paint, but rather digital enhancement.

If you look carefully at the previous image it is possible to see a tin man keeping watch from the balcony next to the great light. I don't know where he came from:

The tin man


In the next two pieces I went for the artistic view. First I tried (and failed) to get the lighthouse to stand on Mary's head:

Mary said she felt a little light headed.

And finally here is my attempt at a piece of video art. It might make you giddy just watching it:



2 comments:

  1. mesmerising or nauseous sand not sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this very much. It is particularly helpful of Mary to be wearing a hoodie. Wouldn't have the same resonance if she had hair.

    ReplyDelete