Monday 12 March 2012

Carry on Dr.

I went to see a dermatology consultant this morning. I had been on the waiting list for 10 months and so I was hoping for news about ways to control my Psoriasis, which has become progressively worse in recent years. The consultant was first class; he spoke with reassuring authority on my condition. However his approach to actually deciding what course of treatment I should take was interesting. In fact he did not decide, rather he asked me to make the decision. He set out four options: first drug A, which does x, and has y side effects; then drug B, with the same breakdown of cause and effect. Next the third option, which was a mixture of drug A and drug B; finally, the option of doing nothing at all. Obviously the final option was the most attractive, as that is what I always do, but I could not (easily) justify that having waited so long for the appointment. In the end, despite my natural inclination to do nothing, I picked the first option. I don't really know why, but at least the expert won't be to blame if it goes wrong. My decision.

1 comment:

  1. This blog made me laugh out loud! Now I feel a bit mean so I do hope it works, whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete