Saturday 10 March 2012

DIY audax ride: Caerwys to Llanrwst

Today I completed my first DIY audax ride. For those not in the know, this involves planning a route, submitting it to an audax verifier and then actually riding it. Audax UK is the body that controls long distance cycling in this country. Long distance cycling is considered a ride over 100km, usually far more, up to 1400km in fact. So my ride of 109km was relatively short. I had planned the ride from Caerwys to Llanrwst, going over the Denbigh moors and returning via St Asaph. For a strong, reasonably fit cyclist this distance is no real problem. It did involve, though, climbing around 2300 metres. I have failed to mention that to successfully complete the challenge it has to be done within a time limit, the minimum being 15km per hour. The weather today was sublime; a slight breeze on the way out, but nothing to complain about; and a tail wind home. We stopped for coffee at the chocolate factory in Pentrefoelas. That was our only break. I am still enjoying the freedom of light weight cycling and the hills today posed few problems. I also tried out my new carbon Dolan bike, and that performed well. So all in all a great day of cycling.

About to leave down town Caerwys

On the road to Nebo

No comments:

Post a Comment