Saturday 17 March 2012

My scarf

My scarf says it all.
Today I faced a dilemma.  Everton were in the quarter finals of the FA Cup, and Wales were playing France for the Grand Slam. Going to Everton would mean missing the Wales game. So what should I do? I admire rugby very much, especially the present Welsh team, but really the Everton game meant more. So I got my ticket for Goodison Park and had to make do with the radio commentary from Cardiff on our way home. Culturally, football (or soccer) has always played a much larger role in my life. I was brought up in Wales, but with a clear view of the great city of Liverpool. When I looked across at the lights of Merseyside I used to imagine that the brightest came from Goodison Park. In school we only played football, and almost everyone naturally followed Everton. So I am delighted that Wales beat France to win the Grand Slam, but a more significant part of me wishes that Everton could have beaten Sunderland to reach the FA Cup semi finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment