Thursday 22 March 2012

A Doll's House

"Why shouldn't I look at my dearest treasure? - at all the beauty that is mine, all my very own."
- Henrik Ibsen, A Doll's House, Act 3
Note the theme of the last two blogs: feminist. The last showed an example of how women were paid less than men for doing the same job, and this was happening in my own life time. Tonight I went to see A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen, written in 1879. This time the inequality suffered by women went even deeper; the leading character - Nora - was unable to borrow money to save her ailing father, and even her husband who was also ill. In the end she got money from a third party, but only after signing a contract that bound her to fulfill impossible conditions under the circumstances. This experience drove Nora to question the entire basis and value of her life. The play at Theatre Clwyd was brilliantly performed as usual; if you have not seen it yet, do.

No comments:

Post a Comment