Wednesday 11 May 2011

Down with this sort of thing (revisited).

Earlier this week I wrote about  the three most pointless mass protests of modern times. In the meantime I have thought about the the least pointless ones; protests that have actually achieved something. It has not proved as easy, but top of the list probably comes the Poll Tax protest of 1990 that certainly played a major part in bringing down Mrs Thatcher and the scrapping of the hated tax within a short time after.

The blockade of ports in the mid 1990s across the South of England in protest against the exportation of calves for the European veal trade was also highly effective and successful.

My final choice of successful protest is not an obvious one: the 2003 mass protest against the prospect of war in Iraq. Yes (I hear you say), but the war actually happened despite millions taking to the streets in perhaps the largest mass protest in British history. However I do not believe that this protest was in vain as it was to shape anti war opinion for a decade and play a part in discrediting not only Tony Blair, but arguably the Labour governments post 2003. I accept that others will interpret this anti war movement differently, but I find it hard to view it as a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment