Sunday 5 June 2011

Kindled

Yesterday I got a Kindle: The printed book is dead. RIP. Later in true historical style I will build a bonfire and burn my books, while I dance around the flames.

Of course I am not serious, nevertheless the Kindle may sound the death knell for many printed books in the not too distant future. I pondered long and hard about buying one, and still feel uneasy when I look at my shelves of books collected over many years. Yet in reality the display of printed books can be a status thing: a man's intellect measured by the size of his book shelf.

I will continue to buy printed books, but the poor quality of the major book shops makes it difficult to find rare or unusual titles. So for the time being I shall enjoy my new Kindle and my paper books equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment