Friday 21 October 2011

Animal Farm.

The current production of Animal Farm at Theatr Clwyd is well worth catching. The set is hugely impressive; in the end it reminded me of a piece of Bolshevik art - which I suspect was the intention. The actors as animals was inventive and worth the admission price to see.

I do have a reservation. It is presented as a musical. The songs are not especially memorable, but that is not vital. My point being that a 'political novel' made into a musical has to be a risk. It risks trivialising supremely important themes. I saw Ibsen's Enemy of the People done in the same theatre and recall being far more affected. I even heard someone speculate whether Schindler's List could be adapted as a musical. Animal Farm almost becomes Old MacDonald.

This should not de-value this polished production. The quality of productions in Theatr Clwyd are beyond reproach and we are unbelievably lucky having a theatre of this quality on our doorsteps. Basically, see everything! It is just the political part of me wants these issues dealt with more seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment