Saturday 8 October 2011

A Shropshire lad's audax

Audax UK is the organisation that controls long distance cycling: audax uk
 I have been a member for many years, but this has primarily involved reading their excellent magazine (Arrivee) that describes the derring-do activities of those that cycle remarkably long distances. In my years as a member I have actually completed 23 events, and failed to finish a few others (most famously I packed after 190km of a 205km event due to the combination of exhaustion and the eating of too many Refresher sweets). Today I added another to my list when I rode 100km in Shropshire.

The definition of a 'long distance' event is not precise; but if they are shorter than 100km it is because they are very hilly. My event today was called the 'Shropshire Lad' and sub-titled 'The Land of Lost Content'; for added realism the Marshall at the half way point was reading a collection of Houseman's poems. There are no better counties for cycling in than Shropshire (except for Flintshire, obviously). The ride followed the direction of the Wenlock Edge hills as far as Acton Scott - the farm used for the TV series Victorian farm. Audax riding involves following a pre-set route in a given time; in this we partly failed as a group of riders mistakenly relied on one who professed local knowledge, this error led to a steep climb over Wenlock Edge, and then and even steeper one back again, thereby adding at least an hour to the ride.

The ride ended on the flat lands around the River Severn and very impressive Attingham Park National Trust property. Being much lighter than on previous Audax events I had hoped to find the hilly sections of the ride easier, but it was not noticeable. Before such rides I need to eat a bit more. So overall an excellent day.

A montage of my completed Audax cards; each one tells a story and not one was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment