Saturday 22 October 2011

The Clwyd Gate Audax

Two weeks ago I struggled to complete the Shropshire Lad audax; rashly, despite the pain of the Salopian hills, I entered another ride, which took place today. This event was longer and hillier than the Shropshire ride, but I had a plan.Today's challenge was 138km and involved climbing well over 7000 feet, in other words up Snowdon twice. In Shropshire I tried to do the cycle and maintain the diet regime, today I tried to balance input and output. I sought advice from friends that do endurance events; as a result of their advice I filled my pockets with jelly babies and my bottles with flat coca cola.

It worked. The ride turned out to be one of my successful bicycling adventures. The first leg followed the River Dee towards Llangollen and ended with a climb up the horseshoe; no problem - I flew up to the Ponderosa Cafe. The next stage was down to Llanarmon yn Ial and on to Ruthin, again I had wind in my wheels, as they say. From Ruthin it was up the vale of Clwyd to Tremeichion and next along the hidden valleys around Bontnwyedd. Then to Abergele for chips. The final section was the toughest with around 32km of climbing up to the Brenig resevoir, and I did struggle here for a short time, before the jelly babies came to the rescue. The last 20 km were down hill to Corwen and the car. All in all it was a great bike ride on a perfect October day.




1 comment:

  1. You flew up to the Ponderosa? Even my car labours to get up there! Respect.

    ReplyDelete