Saturday 15 October 2011

A bit like Hogwarts.

In other parts of this blog I have reflected reflected upon my time at Bangor during the 1980s. Today I took my daughter to the open day at the university, and in particular to the English department. I was thoroughly impressed. There has been massive investment in the university, both in the halls of residence (which can hardly be bettered anywhere else), and the teaching areas. The new students' union building and arts centre open next year and together they will place Bangor University in the forefront of higher education provision in Wales. However, despite the new developments, it is the old Top College building that still dominates the city. Top College, now well over 100 years old, apes the oxbridge architecture being based around 'quads'. The library at Top College is still inspiring and continues to motivate students to higher things. The Shankland Room is perhaps the best example; earlier today I popped in and took this snap.

A bit like Hogwarts.





No comments:

Post a Comment